In-house company Doctor (1x4hour onsite weekly clinic)
In-house clinics are becoming increasingly popular amongst medium to large-size companies, offering health care, wellbeing and health promotion to the company’s employees. This helps to foster a wellness culture and over-arching support to the health needs of the company. It encourages employees to seek help early for medical conditions, which if ignored, can lead to significant periods off work and subsequent costs to the company. It is not uncommon to wait 3 weeks to get an appointment with your regular NHS doctor, which would take an afternoon off work, as opposed to 20minutes at an onsite clinic. Many investigations can also be done onsite, including blood tests. The costs of the clinic should offset the cost to the company in sickness absence, as well as providing morale to their employees.
The UK’s largest annual survey of sickness absence rates and costs shows that sickness absence was an average of 2.8% of working time per annum, or 6.5 days per employee, during 2014.
According to the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development/Simplyhealth’s Absence management survey, larger workforces report higher sickness absence. The most common conditions are coughs and colds, muscular neck and back problems, Migraines and mental health issues. All of which can usually be managed by GPs, and if caught early, could prevent late complications and time off work. Health awareness and understanding of wellbeing can drastically reduce recurrent problems and prevent illness. Having a personal company doctor can provide a behavioural and cultural shift in the workplace, to allow employees to take accountability for their health and wellness, and therefore prevent illness.
Benefits to employer:
- Reduced sickness absence, in the short and long-term.
- Better workforce morale- the sense of having their health and wellness supported.
- Treating illness early before it requires time off work.
- Net cost saving. Employees become less ill, less time off work and increased productivity.
- If there is an on-site or contactable doctor, the employee will feel obliged to use the service before becoming so unwell they need to take the time off.
- Rather than taking half a day off work, an onsite GP can offer a 20 minute consultation to diagnose and treat the problem.
- Yearly flu vaccines can be offered to all staff to prevent flu
- Senior members of the team can have full medical health screens onsite (including full physical examination, blood tests and other investigations)
Benefits to Employee:
- Feeling supported.
- Avoiding lengthy waits for appointments with their local GPs at a time inconvenient for them.
- Supportive to mental and physical wellbeing, and promoting preventative medicine.
- Continuity of care with a regular doctor they know and trust, with direct telephone/email access to that doctor during the working week, with the opportunity for a face-to-face weekly clinic. Good communication with doctors can positively impact sickness absence levels.
- Especially helpful for employees with long commutes to work
Dr Tim Lebens BM DFFP MRCGP is a private GP Baker Street
Experienced, approachable and highly professional.
I have had experience working as the in-house doctor for LandSecurities.
I have over 8 years of experience working in corporate medicine at Wimpole Street W1, with a specialist interest in preventative medicine.
Qualified as a doctor for over 15 years, highly trained, having completed a 3 year postgraduate training scheme at St.Mary’s Hospital, Paddington. Psychiatric experience completed at The Priory, London.
Esquire’s medical columnist for over 3 years.
‘Tatler’s recommended GP June 2015’
Estimated costs are around £600/4 hour clinic. These could be run weekly or fortnightly. There can be added back-up via telephone/email directly to the GP any day of the working week.